Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IMO...Peterson is a brilliant thinker with the admirable trait of being unable to pull a punch. His personal philosophy is well thought-out, and he is interested in making his readers THINK...instead of trying to appear "agreeable" to them. To the "fanatic", Peterson may appear "anti-left"..."anti-right"..."anti-government"..."anti-religious"..."anti-atheistic", etc...and all in the same chapter. The true intellectuals can't possibly be pigeonholed into the nice-and-neat social "compartments" that our society tries to file them in...and Peterson is nothing if not a "true intellectual".
Thask,

OK, since I make it a point to listen when people I respect talk on a subject that they know, I dove into this book while I was waiting for a blood draw this morning.

I'm only 32% into the book (or so my Kindle app tells me) and already I know two things:

1. He is a bit too low-level philosophical for me.

(On THAT topic... I do not believe I have ever met someone of Greek extraction who did not love a well-stated philosophy discussion.)

2. The book has amazing ideas. It belongs at the top of my list.

From what I've read thus far, your assessment is pretty accurate: It seems to be a politically-neutral book, being far more concerned about the center of our "self."

Quote:
A word of advice...since you mentioned being "behind in your reading". Think about taking out a membership at audible.com...a company recently bought out by Amazon. A reasonable monthly fee gets you monthly credits which you can trade in for thousands and thousands of these books in an audio version...which is a very convenient way to enjoy a good book, even when operating under a hectic schedule. I listen to the great books over and over...and find that I learn more by REREADING one great book, than by reading ten different lesser ones.
Audible doesn't work for me. I simply read far faster than anyone can speak. In addition, deep content books such as this one contain many paragraphs that must be read multiple times for understanding.

BTW, I also watch a lot of YouTube videos. Generally, I watch those at 1.5x, but, depending upon how fast the speaker talks, I may turn it up to as much as 2.2 or so.

There are great browser extensions for this, BTW.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most