Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #22
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
Been a weekend clerk for nearly 30 years in California and I have never worked at a facility where we had extra time to cancel or make a bet after the break. Got caught with a $200 WP ticket once that luckily ran 2nd and only cost me $30. I have also seen tons of late money action recently and my educated guess is that it is not happening at the mutuel clerk level or at a window on track or OTB. Think about how many devices and hubs are connected to the pool. Somewhere in there somebody has figured out how to exploit it. If you think about how many data hacks we have seen over the years, many at financial institutions that you can be sure had pretty solid security set-ups, and then you think about how well the racing industry handles things and to me it is an easy conclusion to come to.
I've got some friends (husband & wife) who are long-time mutuel clerks in S. Florida. Apparently (in the old days), too many clerks were getting stuck with tickets from guys who would stand at the window and not touch their tickets until the gate opened, at which time a friend watching a monitor would pass a signal. Then the guy with the ticket would say, "That's the wrong horse. I wanted the ??," and not pay for the ticket.

They say that is why the cancel process was put in place. Not sure if it is still there or not.

They also said that word travels fast along the line and very quickly the clerks shut the guy out to discourage him. They'd do stuff like punch in his ticket and immediately cancel it, saying, "Oh, sorry. Wrong horse. Oh, dang. Now the race is gone."

PS: They said that they've worked on-call at a the dog tracks as well and the same guys pull this stuff over and over.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 04-10-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)