Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 10:20 PM   #21
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
AMD reported earnings after close of market today and their numbers shed some light on what's being talked about in this thread.

From Marketwatch - Jan 30, 2018 --
AMD earnings show crypto and PC strength, stock bounces around:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...way-2018-01-30

--this
Quote:
Revenue rose to $1.48 billion from $1.11 billion in the year-ago period, thanks to a strong performance from the company’s computing and graphics segment, which includes personal-computer sales and graphics-processing units. That unit grew 60% year-over-year to $958 million, easily eclipsing average analyst expectations of $862.5 million, according to FactSet.
--and this:
Quote:
Some analysts had predicted that AMD could outperform with graphics chips because of sales of cryptocurrency miners, and AMD Chief Executive Lisa Su admitted Tuesday that crypto sales were a bigger part of the business than she had previously predicted. Su previously said that crypto sales were a mid-single-digit percentage of AMD’s annual revenue of $5.33 billion, and she admitted in a conference call that sales were probably about a percentage point higher than she thought.
If I'm reading the article right:

AMD experienced 60% sales growth in the GPU space. (Impressive.)

But even though sales in the cryptocurrency space came in better than expected: The cryptocurrency space remains a small part percentage-wise of AMD's overall business.

Nvidia reports on Feb 8th and I'm curious what their GPU numbers will look like compared to AMD's numbers.

I found an article that sheds some light as to why I think the GPU shortage is resulting from faster than expected growth in the AI space and not the cryptocurrency space (which I think is being sensationalized by the press.)

From Wallstreetpit - Jan 25, 2018 --
AI Generates High-Performing Neural Nets In A Matter of Hours:
http://wallstreetpit.com/114462-ai-g...ors_picks=true

--this:
Quote:
The team at ORNL is looking forward to the lab’s next supercomputer called Summit, scheduled to come online sometime this year. The new superfast system, which will contain more than 27,000 of Nvidia’s (NASDAQ:NVDA) newest Volta GPUs in addition to more than 9,000 IBM Power9 CPUs, is expected to deliver more than 5x the performance of its predecessor. That could potentially deliver exascale-level performance for deep learning problems, thus allowing researchers get a handle on some of science’s most persistent mysteries.
Think about that for a second.

One computer. 27,000 GPUs and 9,000 CPUs.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 01-30-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement