Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
Market Mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Chippy
I posted about a stye last week but i dont have a stye. I went to the doctor today and they said it was a chalazion. I have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow. Its a bump filled with puss on the inside of your lid.

From what ive heard is that this is the worst procedure. I spoke to a friend today that said she had one removed and would rather go through a C Section any day. They clamp your lid open and scrape everything out and you can't move or blink til they are done which sounds like hell.

Just wondering if anyone is familiar and knows any other alternatives.

Thanks

No worries Zippy. Chalazion and stye are sometimes used interchangeably. They represent clogged glands called meibomian glands that secrete oil to cover tear film outer layer to prevent evaporatiom of your tears.

Chalazia are common, and can in most cases occur just based on simple anatomy and how your glands are oriented/more likely to clog. First line of treatment is immediate hot compresses twice to three times a day for fifteen minutes religiously, in hopes that heat will open the closed glands and express the caseous/cheesy oil/sebum material.
After 30 or so days, this material starts to harden, and then it becomes much tougher to overcome with just heat. If enough has accumulated, and become hardened and encapsulated, the only other option is to numb the eyelid, flip it, make an incision with scalpel blade, and scoop it out.
Its a messy procedure, and sometimes both surgeon and nurse will back slightly away because contents may be under pressure.
The problem with most chalazia is that they tend to be recurrent in nature.

But just like the ALL button in some exotic wagers, sometimes you just got to do it.
Market Mover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)