Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #473
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The Stephen Foster isn't much older than the Pacific Classic, Spalding.
Did I compare the Stephen Foster to the Pacific Classic beyond them both being Grade 1s? Did I mention some made up Kentucky Handicap Triple that included the Stephen Foster (with the Ben Ali and Clark or something) that no one targets?

Skipped over the major NY races, too. Good work.

Quote:
And the handicap trifecta in California has been talked about since Best Pal almost 30 years ago.
This is a bit revisionist. While CA horsemen were surely aware that there was finally a major older horse race at each of the 3 SoCal tracks in 1991, there was hardly any push for some sort of official "triple". It barely registered with turf writers when Lava Man turned the trick in 2006. This "rare" event next took place in 2013 and now again in 2018.

Where was all the fanfare?

Quote:
Look, if you don't like California's major handicap division races, that's your problem. How many horses have gone Whitney-Woodward-JCGC-BC Classic? I conceded that's basically equivalent
Why is that equivalent?

How is running in 4 Grade 1 races between early August and early November the same as running in 4 Grade 1 races between early March and early November?

Most trainers nowadays would lose their lunch at the thought of the former schedule...

Quote:
What you are trying to do us denigrate an enormous accomplishment by reducing it to "Grade I's", thereby including less important races.
You just make up stuff right and left. How am I "denigrating" these CA Grade 1s by suggesting that other Grade 1s are important?

And I won't even bother to get into the very real concern that the Big Cap and the Gold Cup are but a hair's breath each away from being downgraded to Grade II.

Quote:
Accelerate has had one of the best years in the handicap division in decades, sweeping a bunch of really important races. And it's just sad that you can't acknowledge that. That makes you look small, not the horse.
This is a joke. I didn't say Accelerate didn't have a good year. I just don't agree with your lopsided insistence that his year stands out amongst several other strong older horses in these decades that you seem to dismiss out of hand.

I don't know about any 6 Month Long Southern California Handicap Triple, but you certainly are the winner of the Pace Advantage Straw Man Argument Trifecta with this post (however, your performance hasn't blotted out the thousands of winners from decades past)...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most