Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
TheOracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gakiss2 View Post
The idea came up in the thread on gaging a horse's 'fitness' based on the works and races recorded in the PP's.

And is also a tangential thought on the Trainer Superstars thread.

Is it worthwhile to think about coming up with a 'score' and/or a 'style' for trainers in much the same way we have speed and pace figures as well as Quirin Points and Running Styles for horses?

Perhaps there could be Byers like 'figure' based on a trainer's past success with getting and keeping horses in shape. I am sure it would be based somewhat on their Win percent and ROI but go a bit deeper. Also it appears that besides pure ability / resources, trainers take on different 'styles' or approaches. If those could be categorized then it might help us get more out of the 'moves' that are being made such as distance switches, layoff and work patterns and etc.

My image is different look to the Trainer section of the PPs. Instead of: Baffert wins 78% of the time with and ROI of -$0.18. It would say: Baffert Trainer Score 112, Style W 4 (Workout intensive, 4 points).

I don't know how Trainer's would feel about being rated in the same way their horses are but it seems fair game to me.

Also, specifically to the 'superstar' trainer question: Shouldn't we come to grips with the fact that (I'll pick on Baffert) Baffert is actually the executive of a large successful training organization and he has several top notch trainers working for him in that organization. Why can't we track on the actual person in charge of training the horse instead of calling them all Baffert horses?

Anyway, maybe a couple of juicy thoughts to kick off some discussion.

Hey Gakiss

I rank Trainers based on points and return on investment but the ROI has to be greater than 0

Sometimes I come up with Trainers with nice payouts across the board even though they may not have won their particular race

I’ve been toying with a Ranking system
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...44#post2452844

Looking at it this way led me to some great finds
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...25#post2452125

I missed Gargan at Aqueduct on the Turf twice but I’m waiting for him to strike again hopefully he will hit the board 2 or 3 more times before the season is finished!!!

Last edited by TheOracle; 04-15-2019 at 01:09 PM.
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)