Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I have a few questions for the people that have built their own database or are using Excel spreadsheets to keep data and use them as a way of learning and doing studies.

1. What is your source of data?

2. Which database do you use?

3. If you use Excel, how many worksheets does that involve.

I would like to spend some time doing research, but it seems like such a ridiculously large project, I may be better off paying someone else to do the research for me if I can find someone wiling to do it.

I have access to free data downloads from Formulator. But each race card gives you about 7 data files with different pieces of race information. To manually download one card and then import each of the files into a spreadsheet would probably take 15 minutes a night. Then I still have to download results information, figure out how to link it all together, and then figure out how to do the inquiries that would allow me to study various factors. That's just one track!

I am not familiar with Access, but I have enough DP experience that I'd probably pick it up quickly. But even in that case, even if it makes the inquiry functions etc... a little easier to code and do, it sounds like a lot of time each night just to keep the database.

Is there an easier approach?
First, there is an option for a single file rather than the seven files.

Second, use Access (at the least) instead of Excel. Query power is what you will need. There are free database programs like MySQL, but Access is very simple to use.

Third, you can write a simple script to merge all the exports into one, and then import the file into Access in a few seconds.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)