Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #2
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim View Post
Of course, you saw the video of the stretch run of the Florida Derby where Oritz and KA leans on JohnnyV and SS, SS fails to switch leads and comes up three lengths short. If KA doesn’t lean of SS and SS switches leads, how does that change the LP and BRIS speed figure for SS? Have you seen the 4/17 work for SS and the flawless lead switch? This colt runs with verve and the trainer says he likes to work. How many lengths will he gain in the stretch should he have a clear run for the wire?
I can't find a head-on replay but in the Florida Derby it looks more like Soup and Sandwich came out (as he did in his prior start and subsequent workouts) than Known Agenda leaning in. Soup and Sandwich has not switched leads appropriately in any of his starts.

Even in the workout on 4/17/21, Soup and Sandwich did not switch leads perfectly. He was late by about 2 strides, his head was cocked to the right, and it looks like his rider had to drop his left rein. Compare to his workmate, whose lead change was nearly imperceptible and occurred exactly when they straightened up out of the turn.

Furthermore, his most recent work (4/23/21) was atrocious. He was completely unmanageable before breaking off to the extent that he passed his workmate (who I presume he was supposed to track) and continued to be tough to handle all the way around the turn. He was so unmanageable he inappropriately swapped to his right lead on the turn briefly before going back to his left. The workout time was pretty slow, which I doubt was by design.

Soup and Sandwich is looking more and more like a run-off type to me based on his Florida Derby running line (mouth open, jock's feet on the dashboard) and his morning antics at Churchill. They should just let him rip in the Derby and see if he's another Spend A Buck because their attempts to restrain him or get him to switch leads have not been fruitful.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)