Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
slewis
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
You sound really well versed on this subject and certainly passionate.

I have zero studies to fall back on; but I feel if 1,000 pounds is slamming into me in a corner I wouldn’t want something gripping the surface preventing nature from absorbing the blow.

Same theory as the football player (ala Cadillac Williams) who gets their spikes caught and wrecks their knee. I always though it was the reason a collision sport like hockey had relatively few knee injuries because the skate gives with the blow.

As I said; no hard data to prove anything, just antidotal observations.
Dan,

As I posted earlier.. tonight I will be posting a portion of my study dating back to 2001 which consists of EVERY dirt starter at a NYRA track (over 109,000) in which I personally observed (over 99%) and recorded in a database (I record bit, blinker type, tongue tie and shoe type info on each horse).
You, and others will see how their is NO additional risk and how mud calks are statistically safer (less breakdowns) then plain shod horses.
As far as your cadillac williams ex., why not look at the millions of turns and additional traction baseball players and football players have (which is why they ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL wear them)
Imagine a baseball player rounding third hard and heading for home, when he makes that turn and plants his right foot, without cleats (same as calks) that foot gives way... torn groin, ham string, knee.
This is the same principle I've discussed with trainers like McLaughlin, who personally asked me about them when he started training again.
When an athlete, any athlete, puts it's foot (or hoof ) down, they want ONLY vertical movement (and just a little of that) and NO HORIZONTAL movement. When you start moving horizontally (sliding), thats when the athlete (including the horse) risks injury.
I will also be explaining the REAL reason why they have implemented this change, which is strictly a political move.
Oh, by the way... a 5 yr study conducted on steeplechase races in Saratoga shows that 4.5% of starters get VANNED OFF. You dont van a horse off unless he's hurt. 4.5%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's 4.5% vs about 0.4% for flat racing.
Think the "Concerned and caring Jockey Club" will ban steeplechase racing and threaten to "take graded status" from any track that conducts it??
These guys are an extension of the clowns we have in Washington... making and adjusting the rules for their own personal gains.
Tonight I'll tell all!
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement