Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #61
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IMO...the time is ripe for a certain degree of "realism" in the handicapping literature that comes up now, during the "computer-betting" age. If today's handicapper wants a "feel-good" sort of book, then he can always pick up one of Dick Mitchell's tomes...where the much-esteemed author narrates how he was able to turn the country's racetracks into his own personal ATMs.

Speaking for myself...I'd rather have the handicapping expert give it to me straight...even at the risk of depressing me.
I remember getting a big chuckle re-reading one of the late Dick Mitchell's old books written around 1989-1990 in the late 2000 to early 2010's ,where mentioning about how much money he won with a question, and him revealing it was enough to buy a 286 computer with a 20 mega-byte hard drive! Yes, an expensive splurge back then, but a total relic when one finds one.

He did love mentioning how much money he won, and I know he earned his money, but still those subtle ways of bringing it up. I went to once of his talks during Handicapping Expo 1993 where he asked the room "Oh, and how many of use are Millionaires? Oh, a few of us..."
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)