Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
OverlayHunter

Cable Internet Problem

I've had internet problems for months. While I've forgotten when the problem started, I'm pretty sure its at least 6 or 8 months.

I may have no problems for hours and then I'll lose service for minutes, multiple times within an hour or it could be problematic multiple times an hour more or less throughout the day.

It started with Time Warner and has continued since they were taken over by Spectrum.

I've had conversations with their tech support numerous times over the months.

It's not my computer: 1) it's new and the problem preceded its purchase 2) I've had 2 computers on at the same time and they both lose internet at the same times

It's unlikely to be Spectrum's modem because I exchanged for a new modem a few weeks ago and the problem persisted. I suppose their modems could have a bug but it seems as if so many people would be affected by that and cause Spectrum to have figured that out.

It's not my router: I thought it might be the source of the problem so I bought a new one (and when Spectrum concluded 2 or 3 weeks ago after I installed their new modem that it must be the router, I bought yet another of a different brand with the same bad result)

It's not the network cable that runs from the modem to the router, I bought a new one and, no surprise, the problem persisted.

I have VPN and it sometimes loses connection BUT I've run extensive amounts of time with the VPN purposely turned off so I could eliminate that as the problem and the Spectrum problem persists.

To Spectrum's credit, they sent out a technician last week and, to his credit, I thought he was very thorough. He found some loose connections in the basement and found where squirrels had chewed some wiring outside. He changed the wires and tightened the connections. Right before he came, I found that I had a cable extension behind my desk and it had loosened some (it was at least 20 years since I had even seen that connection and forgotten it was there) so, presumably, all connections were tight.

He left early afternoon and I had only one brief problem the rest of the day.

The next day it was business as usual, the same problems on and off all day. I began keeping a log of the various lights on the modem that go out when the problem arises, the times they go out, duration of loss of service, etc.

I had problems for 7 straight days (with VPN off) and was going to call them again when I knew what my schedule was going to be and then - for no reason I was aware of - for the past 2 days, zero problems - not so much as a hiccup. I'm all but certain Spectrum did not come out here without me having complained but I guess they could have found something internal that was more or less universal and that fixed the problem but I'm left to wonder.

I can say the problem stopping corresponds exactly with a 20 +/- degree drop in outside temperature. Could that affect anything or is that just a coincidence?

Does anyone have any ideas about this? If the problem returns, I'd like some other avenues to pursue.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)