Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 04:22 AM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I must disagree.

This past season I was asked and agreed to do a pre-race handicapping show on the closed circuit system with Nancy Holthus at Oaklawn.

I insisted we be allowed to take the time to not only make the selections but explain how we arrived at the picks.

We used visual aids. Marked racing forms, video of Thoro-graph sheets and of course video replays.

I was told by both management and fans they appreciated and embraced our efforts. I strongly feel we did in fact cultivate players to learn ways to form a better, more informed and sophisticated opinion.

On occasion we invited people from the from the live crowd to join us on set and share their selections. They said that 100% our show was instrumental in their evolution as horse players.
AWESOME...I never knew this!

I've always said that a competent overview of the handicapping process is WAY more valuable than just the rudimentary horse rundown, and the obligatory touting. What good are the picks...if the crowd doesn't see how they are arrived at? Truth be told...I don't have access to the handicapping feeds of any live tracks. The only "handicapping show" that I watch is TVG...which I use as a supplement to my computer feeds. And, sadly...I find the "handicapping" done on TVG to be superficial at best. I say this without having watched any of your own TVG segments...of course.

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-29-2018 at 04:27 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement