Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #17
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I can't agree with what you say here. What percentage of the working population would you say gets up at sunrise...so they could spend the next 10+ hours of the day, first preparing for...and then working at a job that they dislike...for a boss who they think dislikes THEM? And then they keep doing this for the next 40 years or so. Is THIS much of a "well-rounded life"? Professional gambling is just like any other "job"...except that it affords you the freedom to do your work on your OWN terms...instead of forcing you to operate on someone ELSE'S schedule. Your "job" cannot supply you with the "life balance" that you seek...that's what your NON-WORKING life is for.

Yes...the professional gambler has to provide for his own "employment benefits"...but every day of his life is alive with new possibilities. He trades in the "security" of a regular paycheck...for the freedom and "aliveness" that he feels every day. I know...I know. You keep reading here about how "exhausting" professional gambling is...and how "tormented" the pro gambler is...because he doesn't receive any "public recognition".

Don't believe a word of it!

The professional gambler can't wait for the next day to come...and if he needs a "trophy"...he goes out and BUYS one. Not having to bow his head down to a boss, and making up his own schedule...makes up for whatever negative side-effects his "job" may cause. Is this lifestyle for EVERYONE? Of course not...nor SHOULD it be. But for some select individuals...it's the only life that they care to lead.

After all...we only go around once in this life.

I don't think a professional gambler would lead a miserable life.

If you wake up at 11 am instead of 6 am, handicap a card that starts at 4 pm , wager $2000 and make $200 for the day (plus $200 in rebates) VS. being stressed and miserable from 6 am till 6 pm at a "job", I see the former as more fun.

Many jobs offer no flexibility. Being a PG, gives you flexibility. You can sleep late, work from home, babysit, go to a DR, go the gym mid day etc.

I personally handled about $1 Million this year. That was with a new FT (OVERTIME) career change this year. I many times wonder if I could handle $2-$3 million if I didn't work 50 hours a week.

That's $200K-$300K in rebates in that scenario.

Getting back to mental sanity....If you really miss the human interaction the workforce offers, you could work P/T or attend many different types of community business events, if you miss the action of the workforce.

Plus, I am sure many here have said to themselves, shoot, if I wasn't so busy, I would've noticed this horse or that trip etc.

Think of how much more you would find IF you had additional time.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)