Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #420
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
Sitting and watching HRTV. Kurt Hoover and Millie Ball, wife of Tim Yakteen, are doing the analysis. Yakteen's trainee, Grand Giant, is the even money favorite at post time.

I don't have the PPs, so I can't comment on the quality of the field, only on Millie's statement about distance being the determinate factor, in this race.

Millie stated in response to Kurt's question asking why Grand Giant had some real good races and some poor races that the connections believed Grand Giant was suited to routing, but they found out he was a better suited to sprinting.

He was entered because the timing of the race and not the distance. She further added , she thought Grand Giant was a vulnerable favorite, due to the distance. Grand Giant ran a good race setting reasonable fractions, but lost.

If the public knew this information before the race, do you think the horse would have been bet down to 4/5? On the other hand the public sill was correct as the second choice won the race.
The horse would have been bet down. His last two figs of 73 towered over the next best entrant's 64, and the main competition, Rob's Pal, (5/2 ml) was scratched due to "off the turf". Grand Giant was dropping from maiden-special-weight into Maiden $75,000 claiming with Bejarano, and had only tried a route once on the grass, weakening at the 6f mark after dueling at 5-1 odds. His best two finishes were seconds at 6f, 6 1/2 f, closing as much as 3 3/4 lengths from the half mile to the finish.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)