Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
ElKabong

I agree with OTM Al on Bonds and Clemens. They were great before PEDs. Clemens was the best RHP I ever saw. Bonds was the best player of his era before he took PEDs, or, made him look like a freak. McGuire and Sosa weren't HOF material until they hit the juice

I'd leave off Bonds and Rocket till the 3rd year....if for nothing else, see what else comes out about them if anything. Same for all the steroid era players.

Side note on Clemens. Watching him in Austin was other-worldly. His soph yr was amazing, his walk to K ratio was unreal. His Jr year he was our 2nd best pitcher during the season (Schiraldi had the better year), yet he sat out the deciding game vs Miss State in a game that determined who would go to the CWS........

Coach Gus(tafson) called on Steve Labay to pitch vs MSU in the 83 regionals, a team of LH batters that included Raffy Palmiero and Will Clark.... Labay, who couldn't break a pane of glass with his fastball, shut down the Bulldogs and we went on to win the CWS that season.....all b/c Clemens was seated in favor of Steve "LaLob" Labay from the Brazosport area. MSU lit up Clemens in game 1, we had to claw thru the losers bracket to get to the Monday game.......Clemens shined in the CWS, pitched in relief to close out the championship game on 2 days rest vs Bama (Dave Madigan led team).......

The guy was amazing his first few yrs in the Mlb. In the very late 90s I had a feeling he hit the roids given his personality change.

Last edited by ElKabong; 11-28-2012 at 10:51 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)