Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #12
FocusWiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness
I've no idea how sensitive the data is that your attempting to secure?
Whether its personal or business!
Why not just place the data on website, and within a directory that denies access to all except your IP and browser footprint (i. e., multiple conditions via htaccess)?
The vendor places their file in a directory under their main directory. I have no control over this vendor and have tried to talk sense to them before. I would love to implement any of a dozen solutions that I can think of but I am forced to look for ways to fix their terrible design. This is a business application and in their line they are the fifth or sixth largest vendor of that application.

In Unix, I could probably grant read and write access by application and limit it to the program that writes to it (if I could figure out which module actually does the writing). In a pure DOS environment, I might be able to use batch files to decrypt the file before running the program that writes to it and then encrypts it again after the program is done. Unfortunately, I am unable to use such approaches since I have no such control over this application nor the environment in which it was designed to run.
FocusWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most