Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-22-2024, 06:38 PM   #142
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenomics View Post
With all respect, you act like takeout is the end all be all. It is not. Who looks over a card at FG and Tampa day and decides bet one and not the other because of a slightly smaller takeout?
I agree with you on this. For the survival of the sport I want takeout to go down, because every time they raise it they are taking the sport farther away from where it needs to be. I have said before (maybe a long while back) that I don't think it matters too much to the long term survivability of the sport if they cut it down a couple of points (it is not enough to matter and make any difference) and raise it a couple of points. Either the sport will do the right thing with seems almost impossible at this point or it will ultimately perish.

That being said If you can nail say a strong superfecta play in an 11 horse field at a 24% takeout that is far better than a crappy superfecta play in a 7 horse field even at a 18% takeout (not sure if there is such a thing, but you get the point).

The purpose of lowering takeout should be to keep people in the game by making sure they are losing at least reasonable percentage on the dollar. From a bettor's perspective, much better to zero in on strong plays where you feel you have an edge than worry about whether the takeout is 15% or 24%. At least imo. That is certainly the direction I am heading when betting.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)