Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-31-2022, 07:42 PM   #2
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
sorry to hear about the month.

just looking for general info like are the tables reduced to 9, 8, or even shorter handed play? are there masks and dividers? any radical comp and or promotion changes?

look for "the lion" to come ROARING back in 2022!!
NOTE: Copied from 2021 Thread

Glad to hear about the lion. Maybe the Penn National Poker Room will re-open sometime this century.

January activity is in the books, and things are much worse than last reported.
One session ended up being my worst loss in my entire 8+ history of playing Texas Holdem. Subject session included the following:

--- 4 times when I flopped a set, I ended up having a 2-1 advantage after the turn and going all-in. Villains sucked out on me each time. If I did the math correctly, this will happen about 1.2% (or 1 out of every 100 occurences.).
--- I had AKo, Villain had As3s. Flop comes A4s8s. As short stack I go all in. Villain turns a spade to make a flush and another spade comes on the river just to rub it in. Hands like my lose 47% of the time, so essentially losing a coin flip here.
--- Someone raises to $12 pre-flop and their are 5 callers including me. I have Ac9c. Flop comes A 9 3. I go all in and get one caller who has either a backdoor straight or flush draw, which gets there.
--- Villain raises $15 preflop, and when it gets to me, I go all-in with about $70. I have QQ and loose to AA. This simply happens from time to time, but included it because it was a part of the horrible session.

My very next session was a loosing one as well. I played relatively breakeven after the following:

--- I have KK and flop a set. Flop is K Q 4 rainbow. I go all in for about for my remaining $125. Villain has T9s. I am a 2-1 favorite, but villain gets a J on the turn. I now still have 33% equity to get a full house, which does not come. And to make matters worse, I get teased in a later hand when I get AA pre-flop, with a flop of A Q x, and a turn of Q. Even though I don't expect it to hold, I have a High Hand of AAAQQ with about 40 minutes to go. The High Hand pays $400 per hour, but since no one had a qualifying hand the hour before, the roll-over of $400 made this one worth $800. With 17 minutes remaining I hear the dreaded "High Hand, Table X, JJJJ with an 8.

Trying to get it all back quickly is a recipe for disaster. My challenge will be to grind away over the next 2-3 months, hopefully playing smart and getting a bit of favorable variance, to make up the current to-date losses.

In answer to your playing questions regarding playing conditions, tables have a maximum of 8 players, there are no dividers, and masks are NOT required, even by the dealers. I would estimate that about 90% of the dealers wear masks, and 15-20% of the players do. High Hand promotions are typically $300/$400 per hour, and run about 7-8 hours each day the room is open. The room is open 9 a.m. to 3 or 4 am. Wednesday thru Sundays, and closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Each day can be a little different, and because there are still not as many dealers as there were pre-covid, one has to plan wisely in order to not have to wait several hours before getting on a table.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)