Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 10:25 AM   #14
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It's quite capable and fast...but there are much faster gaming laptops out there...the problem is they all weigh 4-5lbs and I'm not lugging that around...lol

Oh, and their battery life (when gaming) really really sucks.
Nice rig, do you game or is this just to run horse-related stuff?

I had an Alienware 12 or 13 which was a smaller lower budget gaming laptop a couple of years before Dell acquired them. Decent build quality but I got rid of it because I mostly gamed on console anyway back then.

For laptops I've always been a big toughbook fan over the years because of the more rugged build, the built in handle and daylight-readable. They're on the heavier side but the handle helped. Expensive to buy new though. Good for horse related stuff but not much for gaming, I don't think there's much graphics horsepower, it's more of a business laptop.

At my last job which was at a software dev company they bought the sales team these massive sager gaming laptops to run our software for demo purposes. I had to configure these things for the sales team and I believe we had 3 physical SSDs in them that we installed. I had several VMs running on it with VMware workstation, a windows domain controller, a video recorder and a SQL server I believe were the VMs and our client software ran on the Windows host OS so it could leverage the graphics card for that video viewing piece. Those things were so heavy though and ran really hot so the sales guys nicknamed it the sterilizer. lol

Last edited by MJC922; 07-17-2022 at 10:40 AM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)