Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Flightline
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 05:47 PM   #185
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I guess I'm still the rare horse player that doesn't like to watch true dirt milers get outrun at 6F or tire at 10F.

The Sprint purse is 2 million dollars.

The Classic purse is 6 million dollars with much greater prestige.

If you have a major contender equally adept at 6F and 8F or 8F and 10F it's usually an easy call.

If he's not of a caliber to win the tougher more prestigious race or not versatile enough to run outside his best distance, he runs for 1 million in the Mile.

The only problem I've seen is the type of horse that has handled 9F easily dropping back to the Mile where he looks like a huge favorite to avoid a much tougher confrontation at 10F in the Classic. The most obvious was Liam's Map. That was a "weak" move. But it's not like I am complaining every year about some horse that could have won the Sprint or Classic running fro less money and prestige in the Dirt Mile.
Liam's Map's choice to run in the Dirt Mile made sense actually.

You had American Pharoah in the BC Classic in which only 8 tried to beat him. In the Sprint you had Runhappy. As it turns out, the 3 older male dirt races turned into free squares with those 3 completing each leg that weekend.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)