Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #41
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Several reasons. For one, many owners and trainers STILL insist on equating mnr with a walk-over. You wouldn't BELIEVE how bummed and pouty lots of them get when they first realize how deep and classy the races they pointed for have come up. I honestly think some of them expected to come here and face local maidens.

Also, other tracks make a POINT of offering competing options. Options CAREFULLY tailored to wreak havoc on our big day. And BELIEVE me, this can get personal and is sometimes done partly for spite.

And finally, good horses are more fragile than many fans realize. It should have been apparent yesterday from my commentary that a few key contenders, even outright chalks, came in as damaged goods and performed accordingly. KUDOS to the connections that chose to scratch instead of trying to squeeze one more performance from a sore or over-the-top horse. Mountaineer is not alone in this regard. It happens everywhere.
thanks for the explanation. There are so many good 6F horses, all the scratches there surprised me
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)