Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter View Post
...I can say the problem stopping corresponds exactly with a 20 +/- degree drop in outside temperature. Could that affect anything or is that just a coincidence?

Does anyone have any ideas about this? If the problem returns, I'd like some other avenues to pursue.
Quite a saga.

The temperature change could absolutely have an effect on your connectivity, especially if the change in weather included some heavy rain, or the wire travels above ground at any portion of the route.

I would suggest having the tech provide details on the entire route of the connection. Cable providers have "nodes" installed at various locations away from the main pipes (i.e., fiber optic backbones), and are able to calculate the amount of capacity that goes through each one. Your call may have motivated them to upgrade/or at least check the connections on one of these nodes, or junction boxes, or whatever they want to call them. That MAY explain why the connection has suddenly been solid for a couple of days. You could also request guidance on how to measure the strength of the signal, and determine if that varies at all, or if it's an "on or off" scenario.

Most often the the problems with connectivity are at the end of the pipe, (within your house), because if they are further upstream, then multiple customers begin to complain. But we don't know how many, if any, of your neighbors are on the same line from the nearest node. We don't know how long the cable wire extends from the main route (near the street or in-between backyards) to your house. We don't know how old the cable wire is (many are still the ones laid down in the mid 1970s when cable started to expand dramatically).

I had cable about 10 years ago that was fine, and then my VPN for work would drop off. Turned out someone up the street was a heavy user and took all the pipe. I switched to DSL for a couple of years, but went back to cable when they assured me they had upgraded their system. And they had. It worked fine. Then I moved just as a fiber optic service came into the neighborhood (sigh...).

Unfortunately, if your problems do persist, the point of diminishing returns has already been reached by the cable company if you're the only customer having problems. It's cheaper for them to lose you to DSL or some other service, then identify and replace sections of their lines that may no longer work....

Good luck.

Last edited by Parkview_Pirate; 10-13-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)