Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #107
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
I can't blame a jockey for not being able to change a horse's running style at the last minute, "during" a big race.

As a matter of fact, I'm against drastically altering a horse's running style, period.... unless there is something mechanically / musculoskeletally incorrect in the first place that would vastly hinder their career on the track, or cause them to come to harm. And that would happen very early on in their career, not the end of it.
I agree, a jockey should not try to alter a horse's running style. However, I do think Smith could have kept her in closer contact with the second pack of horses -- rather than 20 lengths behind.

He had her 10 lengths behind last year in the BC Classic. He had her 20 lengths behind this year. He could have urged her closer to the pack early in the race without changing her come from behind style. In my opinion, she would not have had as much work to do to try to catch Blame who had gotten the lead at the top of the stretch.

Again, this is all a matter of opinion, and you could very well be right.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)