Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #213
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
The Browning Auto 5 was first patented in 1905. The M1 the first major gas operated rifle in the 1930s.

School shootings are newer phenomenon so its something else. I'd rather look into deterrence and education before we start banning something that the public has had access to for over a century.
I'm going to guess the change is that semi automatic weapons are in much wider use and there has been a general deterioration in the mental health and value system of our society (mental health and values being related).

Banning some weapons is what I would call (and typically detest) a band-aid solution. It's more of a left wing totalitarian solution. The problem is that fixing the value system and mental health of this society is probably going to be a multi-generational solution that will run into serious resistance from the left.

So maybe a reasonable compromise is extreme vetting.

I am OK with extreme vetting for immigrants from countries where a preponderance of the people have hostile feelings towards the US even though incremental risk is small. My feeling is why accept even 1 unnecessary death if we can lower the risk by covering ourselves better up front. They can come here, just make sure.

So why not look at the data on who is committing these mass shootings, consider them a higher risk class, and do extreme vetting before allowing them to purchase a gun that might kill one of our kids?

It's the same thing, but it seems the left and right are on opposite sides from each other and themselves depending on the issue.

Profiling may be unappealing in some ways, but statistics work.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-22-2018 at 11:12 AM.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.