Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #14
FakeNameChanged

Wonder Woman got me started

So my neighbor an inveterate gambler, who's nickname was Bodie W., short for Bodacious, comes over one Saturday afternoon, and asks me if I want to go along with him to see Wonder Woman, Lynda Carter. So, I said, Sure, why not. Where is she? He said she was going to be at Penn National when King Leatherbury brought one of her horses up to Penn to win a race. I believe that Kent D. was also coming along to ride.

Upon arrival, my neighbor takes me in through the owners entrance and procures two programs for us at no charge. He pretty much got into anywhere free of charge just on his reputation. It had to be seen to be believed. Being my first time at a track, I was on information overload and started to study the program, this was one of the old ones with no data other than basic information. Bodie was constantly coming and going to procure information from other sources, so he left me in the grandstand to fend for myself, and my first place bet actually won, even though I somehow bet the wrong horse. He said that doesn't matter.
After he returned from one of his walk-arounds, I asked about Wonder Woman, if he saw her yet. He said yea, and he was disappointed that she had dressed down in jeans and some baggy shirt, no make-up. But he said,The King looked like a million bucks. Back then King Leatherbury dressed up like Colonel Sanders.
So I never actually saw her, but it didn't matter, as he made me a horse racing fan from then on.
Note: Anyone that regularly attended Penn during the 70's-90's would know who my neighbor was. He was aptly called Bodie or Whitie, and was a big Hulk Hogan look-alike before the Hulk actually was known.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)