Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 01:02 PM   #60
Henry Gondorff

Greenwood racetrack in Toronto’s Beaches neighbourhood was memorable for me as the track where I was first introduced to the sport.
The thing that impressed me was how I felt like everything was within my grasp. Once inside the gates I could quickly get my hands on a newspaper and racing form. There was a barbershop, a shoeshine stand, and a gift shop where they sold the Bloodhorse magazine. There was food and coffee and even a raucous tavern that reaked of spilled beer. There was also the lure of free money at the tote windows. The paddock was only a short walk outside giving relief from the smoke filled grandstand. You were close enough to whiff the horse lineament and hear and see the horse’s wet nostrils while snorting. The track had tight turns and from the first row of the grandstand you felt like you were on top of the horses. You could hear whips cracking and hear jockeys voices of encouragement from the top of the stretch. It was a great introduction to the sport and gambling. Good times.

It closed a few years before the internet came along and changed everything.
Henry Gondorff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement