Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #50
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
A number of people here tried to use the auto insurance requirement to justify the individual mandate, saying the two things were identical.

The difference is that the courts have ruled that driving on public roads is a privilege, not a right, and that the government can regulate the use of its roads. Auto insurance is a condition of using the public roads. Under the ACA, health insurance is a condition of living in this country.

The other difference is that mandatory auto insurance is to cover other people. Coverage of your car is still usually optional.
Your first point is dead on. No argument from me.

What Chad is talking about (u/m coverage) is, in fact, first party coverage. It covers your damages from an uninsured motorist.

I personally think he's mistaken about it being mandatory anywhere but I don't know the laws of every state so am open to being surprised. If it WERE mandatory somewhere then it would be an analog to required medical insurance.

But it's not required in California so I suspect I'm right about it not being required anywhere.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)