Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
bobphilo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
All you need to know is that Maximum Security’s jockey, Luis Saez, violated the rules and regulations of thoroughbred racing with regard to “interference”. Saez’s actions impeded another horse, War of Will (yes, I had bet the horse). Saez’s swerve to the outside could have caused serious injury to several jockeys and horses. Indeed, it was a near miracle that a jockey didn’t suffer a potential career-ending spill. In the end, War of Will would finish off the board. Saez’s actions, in my opinion, were blatant; they seriously compromised War of Will’s chances.

As far as President Trump chiming in with “political correctness”. I find that hard to fathom. It would be one thing if President Trump had trained or even owned thoroughbred racehorses. I don’t believe that is the case.

You may see this as “apples and oranges,” but when I was a teacher, I would, on the first day of school, establish, in written form, my rules and regulations. They were the same for each and every class. There were no exceptions. I would never treat the high-achieving student any differently than those who were working to achieve passing grades. If I were to show favoritism, where’s my credibility? A rule or regulation is only as effective as it is being enforced.

Furthermore, in this vein, there can be statutes on the books; yet if these rules are not enforced, I ask: “What good are they?” It took courage for the Kentucky state stewards at Churchill Downs to make what I believe was the correct call.

Finally, as cited, there can be no favoritism. As unpopular as it may have been for many to have seen Maximum Security’s number taken down, it would have been more of a travesty, in my opinion…not to have done so.

Yes, for “the connections” and those who wagered on Maximum Security’s nose, it was a bitter pill to swallow. Yes, it would have been easy to have kept Maximum Security’s number up. Sometimes we all have to - after serious thought - make hard, sometimes unpopular decisions. Yet, I believe the stewards acted in the best interests of thoroughbred racing.
Agree 100%. Very intelligent post throughout. Your students were lucky to have you.

Last edited by bobphilo; 05-05-2019 at 04:33 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)