Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #28
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
That would be unfortunate - does seem disingenuous to post a liquidity amount that is really double the amount of wagers essentially. I see a lot of race liquidity totals as odd numbers so figured that would mean they're not double counting, but I guess this is explained by some wagers that are filled for less than whole dollars?

Pretty impressive feat for my statements in this thread to be 0 for 3 in validity, guess I'm trying to keep pace with my win selections as well.
Actually, come to think of it, the way they present it is not all that bad. If anything, it understates the volume in some ways.

Take the example of a 2 horse race with Bettors A and Bettor B. Say it was parimutuel and Bettor A bets $400 on horse #1 and Bettor B bets $100 on horse #2. Total win pool is $500.

Now instead of betting through the parimutuel system, Bettor B puts out a bet of $100 at 4/1 odds and it is accepted by Bettor A who now has a liability of $400.

Certainly the same amount of risk applies in both situations. The win pool at the track would be shown as $500. Some people would say Betfair should only display volume of $100. In this case, they would actually have displayed $200, but one could certainly argue maybe they should show it as $500.

Bottom line is that it's tough to make comparisons on the actual volume on the exchange versus the track win pool by just looking at the total volume on the exchange as it can be deceptive for the reason noted above but also because it does not take into account people trading both sides of the same horse.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement