Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #12
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
Read the script awhile back due to interest in the subject and thought it was pretty good. Haven't had a chance to see the film, but it's become something of a sleeper hit and is widely admired among film people. Seems to have an outside shot at an Oscar nomination for BP -- which should be announced tomorrow.

Re subject line -- the film is a tragic tale of gambling addiction, somewhat similar in nature to Jim Toback's 'The Gambler,' but more much more unrelenting in execution and without pleasant distractions like the presence of Lauren Hutton. Unfortunately, some may have been misled by Sandler's involvement to think that it will have comic elements. But as is the case with, say, 'Macbeth,' not too many laughs.

I've seen this happen with some kinds of films, and have heard complaints from friends like those above in this thread -- I'd recommend taking a quick look at a couple of reviews on metacritic.com, which should give a sense of a movie's general tone, and possibly prevent a bad experience.
As I stated above I heard Sandler's interview on NPR. No bones were made about his character, in fact Sandler said he was hesitant to take it. His kids' perception of him could change from this movie and he didn't want that.

To me the movie just flat out sucked. I knew the intensity level of it from the interview. It fell far short of a good movie and/ or entertaining
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)