Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
Teach

More than ever I'm convinced - maybe not in my lifetime - that fiat currencies, i.e. the dollar, will fall by the wayside. We've been in a disinflationary environment for nearly the last 40 years (that's about the only thing that has prevented an inflationary spiral). Not since gold moved up exponentially in 1980 have we seen increased hints of inflation on the horizon.

Moreover, the Central Banks can put so many fingers in the dike, but, in the end, they can't stop inflation from breaking through. This can spell disaster. Economic disaster. Interest rates can soar. The cost of goods and services can skyrocket. It already has. Have you recently had your car repaired or a plumber fix your toilet? You know what I mean.

Personally, I believe it's quite possible that cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin along with gold will supplant fiat currencies. I believe we are on the precipice of a paper-money calamity. Monopoly money may be worth more. Remember the hyperinflation of Germany's Weimar Republic during the early-1920s. Germans papered their rooms with the stuff.

Everybody's a free agent, but I am seriously looking into collectibles, gold and silver coins, even baseball cards.

My final thought: I would consider being as diversified as possible. It's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security. Times can change. Sometimes, on a dime (the stock market crash of the fall of 1929). I believe times - economic times - are changing. Maybe at first gradually, but then... Now if my mother hadn't thrown out my Mickey Mantle rookie card.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)