Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I am one of Dave's loyal customers. Here's what I do:

1. Download the races into Excel. (I use HTR and get both charts and a track profile I can use for this.)

2. Using Beyer's chart from his book, I first verify the Beyer equivalent in time - not all distances/track follow the chart exactly. I take a years of data and check out how each distance lines and make a correct if I find any out of line. Aqueduct, for example, is off 6 points at 6.5 furlongs.

3. I then add a column for Beyer/Quiring, where I convert each Beyer to a Quirn speed figure, based on a Beyer of 80 = a Qurrin 100.

4. I then use Dave's pars t convert the raw times to pace figures, all three calls.

5. Now, the par for the race is the Beyer/Quirrin number. So the race variant is the difference between that number and the raw Qurrin number I get from Dave, and the pace variant are the difference between the race Quirrins and the Beyer/Quirin.

6. I can now look a the whole day and see if Beyer has any numbers he broke out, re-adjusted for some reason, whatever.

7. Any races out of the norm are marked so I know later when I used them that this number is not to be taken as set in stone.

8. I then calculate a pace variant for each call.

9. Last three columns are the race pace and speed figs.

10. If I have a par for the race, I then add the race shape from Quirrin's books, AF, AA, FF, or for routes, AAF, SAA, etc.

I check the Winner's Books every month and see if Beyer has changed any numbers since I first got them - this happens more than occasionally. I also make this check annually to get any track to track adjustment he might make. I just did Finger Lakes for 2017 this week in preparation for the opening today. Any changes are put into the sheet and the variants are re-calculated for those days.

I get to see the whole day doing it this way - I see if any races were exceptionally fast or slow in the raw times.
It is not unusual to see some VERY slow first fractions at NYRA.

It is not just entering Dave's stuff into a program a lot of hand-entry is need to set up the spreadsheet, but then it is just add new race data and dragging the formulas to get Quirrin numbers into place.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most