Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 11:27 PM   #24
dryrunguy

A lot of what has been posted in this thread resonates with me and aligns with my limited experience as a handicapper. Thanks to all who took the time to share their experiences.

I have gone through what I'll call phases. I had a Del Mar phase, a Santa Anita phase, a Gulfstream Park phase, a Charles Town phase--just to name a few. A few months ago, I had a great weekend at Woodbine and haven't been able to win anything since--to the point I just plain stopped trying.

Now I am in a Mountaineer phase. It is driven entirely on where I am winning--and my assessment of why I'm no longer winning at a track. That said, I got a rare shot at an all-sprint early Pick 5 at Santa Anita this past weekend and ended up one second-place finish from pulling it off. (It was pretty chalky, though.)

I mentioned in another thread that I primarily do sequential wagers. I have learned (the hard way) to set rules for what I play. I look for sequences, regardless of track, that cater to what I do well as a beginner. Those would be sprints on fast tracks that don't involve 2-year-olds or a field of 10 maidens who all have average speed figures of 35ish. (Though I'll consider sequences with distance races and 2-year-olds where it makes sense to buy the race, and I can actually afford it and justify it.)

A year from now, I'll probably have completely different rules. And to quote Stuart Smalley, "That's okay!"
dryrunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)