Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #42
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Ken Masa of HTR did much of the computer research with Bary, so it will be top notch stuff.

I ordered a hard copy and got an email saying it will now ship on March 21, not March 1. Wonder if it will ship March 1 without ath autograph!
The wealth of stats in the book, which as you say are from Ken Massa, are impressive. In my opinion, I think readers have to be cautious of taking all of the statistics as gospel. They have to be viewed in the right context. As an example, generally speaking, Massa's stats show that blinkers off did better in both ROI and Impact Values than blinkers on. But I personally much prefer blinkers on. I've have quite a few scores over the years where I felt that the reason the horse won the race was mainly because it improved sharply in blinkers. And often the horse was a longshot.

Taking blinkers of a horse can certainly be beneficial in certain situations. Trainers sometimes like to stretch a horse out, for instance, and they'll take the blinkers off to try to get the horse to relax because they want to take it back off the pace. Or, they may be trying to wake the horse up in a future race by putting the blinkers back on.

But my point is, if you know how to use blinkers on, it can be a potent longshot angle. I learned a lot about thoroughbred handicapping from hanging out and working alongside sharp handicappers like Brad Thomas and Paul Cornman, who are both excellent trip handicappers. Brad, for instance, closely watches how young horses run in their first few starts: how green they are, how long their stride is, whether they shy from horses, whether they seem to get nervous running inside of horses, how they handle kick back, etc. Consequently, he has a good feel for which horses will benefit from adding blinkers.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)