Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-28-2018, 01:28 AM   #725
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Yeah I've heard metal printers exist. At that point though you're basically just running a CNC machine are you not?

I think you could make cool things and it seems like an interesting endeavor to "perfect" the 3D printed gun.

Like I said though the materials are what limits the function. Possible? Yes. Practical? No.
CNCs remove material with a cutting tool mounted on an XYZ automated head. Or a laser mounted scanning tool, again removing material from the blank.

3D printers "add" material in successive layers. Obviously plastic is way easier than metal. As you can see from the link, metal 3D printing is here and an active field. Will not be practical until the costs come down. No teenagers fooling around in their basement for a while.

BTW, one of my patents is a non-mechanical aiming laser scanner, able to position the cutting end of a laser along an XYZ grid. Unfortunately we found some theoretical problems preventing full practical implementation, and would up "staking out" limited claims in our patent, and assigned it awaiting those problems to be solved. More complicated than anticipated, but became familiar with some of the technology.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)