Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #724
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
I admit I am not a gun person and only looked at the problem from an engineering point of view. Gun enthusiasts are naturally looking for a very "close" approximation. I suspect eventually, but only a rough one is available now or soon.

However if the costs and manufacturing skills are lessened, these plastic weapons will be used on a more widespread basis.

Technology like cell phones and computers are rapidly taken up by kids, usually quicker then their parents. Regulations will be tougher to enforce.

Technology advances faster than anticipated. A double edged sword. These 3D "printers" were basically unknown 10 years ago. Although some large concerns used "Stereolithography" (SLA), since the 1980s's,. called Rapid Prototyping (RP) technologies, their offshoots flourish today.

Give the technology another 10 years and my guess is almost anything including high muzzle velocity weapons will arrive.
Yeah I've heard metal printers exist. At that point though you're basically just running a CNC machine are you not?

I think you could make cool things and it seems like an interesting endeavor to "perfect" the 3D printed gun.

Like I said though the materials are what limits the function. Possible? Yes. Practical? No.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)