Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 11:47 PM   #34
Gakiss2
Data Warbucks

Training Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Not to mention circuit styles. Acceptable workout patterns seem to me anyhow to be different at different circuits. In SoCal a work every 7 or 8 days between races is not unusual for a well meant horse. It's almost a requirement. I know that's not the same at other comparable tracks east of the Mississippi.
In the process of my attempt to build an algorithm for fitness I created a chart which graphically lays out the dates and distances of the works and races. After while you do see very different 'styles' emerge. Often I see about 4 works placed about a week apart after a long layoff. I take that as better then no or very few spaced out works after a long lay off but shouldn't rate as high as a pattern of consistent works with some recent races worked in. I do notice that some trainers will have a very steady weekly work pattern then stop two or three weeks before the race where others will keep the steady weekly pattern right up to a few days before race day. There are other trainers that almost never have the horse do a work out. And this is common in cheaper claimers so it really doesn't seem like an elaborate scheme to work the horses 'in the dark'. Some others in this thread have mentioned that east coast varies form west coast. I don't yet have enough experience to weigh in so I will take the advice as I can get it.

» Advertisement