Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 02:49 PM   #26
dilanesp

The sports betting operators will charge their traditional takeouts unless required to take more by the state.

However, as I have discussed in earlier threads, there is a trend among sports book operators to adjust lines and takeouts to increase their percentage take. So takeout on sports bets will, over time, rise in one way or another. This will especially be true with football because it will be the most popular sport to bet on and the sports betting market is driven by compulsive gamblers.

Having said that, and despite my general skepticism of takeout cuts as a panacea in horse racing, it seems to me that this sort of competition should offer a decent reason for tracks to cut takeout, because sports betting so directly competes for betting dollars with horse racing among the sorts of bettors who like to "study" and "get an edge" before they bet.

So in my idealized scenarios, trends to increase takeout on sports betting should continue, and tracks should cut takeout to compete, until they converge on some sort of equilibrium.

In the real world, however, tracks are not going to cut takeout unless absolutely forced to, and they will lose business to sports betting.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.