Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 02:39 AM   #16
coachv30

I am currently 48 YO. I played in the tigers organization for 6 years and made it as far as AA. I then went on to coach at the single A level for 2 years when I decided to finish college and get my degree in teaching.

I have been coaching HS and college level players since then. The game is changing as we speak!! Back in the 90's, hitters were drafted if they proved to be high percentage contact / average guys who could utilize the amount of field that is accessible to them (mainly gap to gap). Nowadays, the offensive game is getting watered down by "all or nothing" hitters. Sabermetrics (mainly "launch angle" is killing this sport). Every ball put in play has a Fu***ng angle!!! Does it really matter that a line drive to the left center gap had a launch angle of 18 degrees and a 420 foot home run had an angle of 43 degrees? It's where you happened to make contact with the ball in relation to the hitting zone that created that result.

The problem is that organizations who are training today's youth / tomorrow's stars are making a pretty penny teaching approaches that try to create that 43 degree angle without taking more important aspects into mind such as situational hitting. The situation at any given time is the most important thing...that used to be the game and still should be.

So many amateur organizations throughout our nation are making money teaching kids this type of approach whether they are 6'5" 230 lbs or 5'8" 155. They are all being treated the same. They go to these showcase tournaments to play in front of scouts and play a makeshift version of the game of baseball.

Pitchers- throw as hard as you can!! Don't worry about controlling the running game, pick off moves, changing looks on the mound, fielding your position, etc.....

Hitters- Swing as hard as you can!! Get lift on the ball!! Maybe you'll open someone's eyes with your power. Forget about moving runners, hit and runs, bunting, hitting behind runners, working a count, etc...

When we get these guys in the spring for high school, they are literally "Baseball Stupid"!! I am seeing less and less baseball IQ as each year passes by.

I thank all of you for opening up this platform for me to vent. I am angry and frustrated, mainly because I just closed the local watering hole and lost my Preakness wagers today.

Good Night

Last edited by coachv30; 05-19-2019 at 02:49 AM.
coachv30 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)