Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Lead changes.
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
JPinMaryland

Now I am curious myself, DJ says that in the left hand turn, the horse runs on it's left lead. Now every year I always forget which hoove goes when, so I always have to refresh in the spring, but I am not so sure...

WHen I watch the replay of saturday's race it looks like all the horses are on the right hand leads in the turn, even Barbaro who switches to this left somewhat early. Then they all go onto the left hoove for the stretch. I know from watching lots of tape last year that they are consistent, I just forget which hoove goes when. So are you sure, DJ, that they are going left hoove lead in the turn?

If you think about it, if they are on the left lead in the turn they would be leaning to the outside, yes? ANd that would not work in a turn yes?

Again I am novice so please correct me. I may be missing something.

Also watching the Barbaro tape again, he actually bore in twice on Sharp Humor who was game throughout. He bore in on him about 3/4 of the way through the last turn, right at the moment when he switched from right lead to left lead. This was not mentioned by the announcer's but seems clear on tape. They did mention that he bore in on him about mid stretch or so.

Going back on the tape, Barbaro appeared to change leads about 10 strides prior to the stretch. Not sure how far a horse strides, but I guess that makes it 20 lengths.

Barbaro also lugged out later, as can be seen on the head on shot, but this might have been right at the finish or even after the finish. Hard to tell from the head on.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)