Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Lead changes.
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Question: can a horse navigate a left hand turn on its right lead? Or are instances of bolting (or just blowing the turn) an example of trying to do so?
For a horse to run on the wrong lead into a turn is not unheard of but it would be unusual. It is natural for a horse to use the correct lead so as to keep its balance. Keeping its balance is more than just a need to not run into other horses. It is a very fundamental instinct. A horse does not want to fall down especially when running. Why? Because if a horse were to fall to the ground it would be attacked by its pursuer and be killed.

They'll blow turns for any number of reasons. If they are on the incorrect lead, they can run into the turn but they need to run wider especially if at speed.

I'm sure there are others reading this that have seen a horse bolt and not necessarily while in the turn. I've seen some pretty hairy sudden left or right hand turns. Most of the time when that happens it's because something has spooked or frightened the horse. At that point, fear and instinct take over and the training along with herd instinct go right out the window. I've been on a run away horse a couple of times and not riding short. It's about as scary an experience I've had. I can not image what a jock's reaction might be.

Can a horse run the entire race on one lead? Sure can. I would venture to guess a horse would do that if it was sore and was attempting to protect themselve or it just naturally traveled that way. Sometimes a horse will not run straight. Not running straight means the ass-end (hind quarters) do not follow immediately behind the front quarters, they are offset to one side or another. If a horse runs sufficently crooked, it can not change leads.

Is it smart for a horse to change leads during the race when running straight? I think so but trainers and jockies would have a better opinion than mine. It would seem the better thing to do so the effort along with the wear and tear is distributed on both sides. Given the chance, I'd love to ask this question of Mike Matz. He rode for the USET and won a gold medal for the US in the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta (WTST--was there, saw that) and is the trainer of the undefeated Barbaro. He and Ritchie are in a unique position with their background in other equestrian disciplines to tell us if what they'd use in training a runner on the flat applies just the same as their competition horses for jumping and dressage, cross country/steeplechase.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)