Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #39
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_crunk View Post
Sure, I get that. At the KEE symposium last week, the MTH exec said that their nightly simulcast (after 5PM) was up 21%, which was about a $300K increase from the year-over-year period of June 16 through Labor Day. The reason why I'm skeptical of these type of numbers is because they are not the whole picture. I would expect if the overall simulcast was as good, MTH would be sharing that with the press and saying how good that is. It makes sense to me that people standing around the track at midnight would be betting racing since last year they were not standing around the track betting racing at all because the track was closed. The exec clearly stated that - their hours and staff have had to accommodate the extended hours that sports betting demands with games running late on the west coast.

I don't know. I can only analyze the numbers that I have. I'm of the opinion that MTH, like many tracks these days, are fumbling around with the attendance numbers. They simply are too close together year over year to be believable and the spiky handle number of on-track in light of that leads me to believe attendance numbers are mostly made up. Who knows though.
Agree completely on attendance. It is largely irrelevant at almost all the tracks. Think of Monmouth- spinners on Haskell Day, people betting from the Blu Grotto (ok just a handful) that aren't counted, now sports bettors that are counted (in case you weren't aware, everyone paid admission on racing days. If you bet sports you'd get a parking and admission voucher for your next trip), and of course the picnic area squatters and food truck aficionados.

For whatever reason, I don't recall Mth ever publicizing the inbound simulcast figs. I was surprised to see it in the article I referenced, and you're probably right it was put there for a reason. I've always hypothesized or backed into the inbound number.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)