Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 02:53 PM   #172
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
People talk about having "confidence". The only way a horseplayer could have any "confidence", in the real sense of the word, is if he has had real success in this game for an appreciable length of time. If you had success in this game for a few years and then you lost your edge, then you can still bank on the "confidence" that you once had and sit down and figure out how you lost the edge over the game that you once held. But if you NEVER had any success in this game for any length of time, then...what possible "confidence" can you really have? We can't fake "confidence".

People talk about money management and how to manage a bankroll. You are only managing a bankroll if you consider yourself to be a winning player. If you don't think of yourself as a winning player, then you are not managing a "bankroll". You are managing an expense account.
I don't have a problem admitting my confidence gets shaken easily. My past results don't mean much to me. I could never duplicate any of my biggest individual scores or best years now because those conditions no longer exist. What I can say is that I'm still working hard to find different inefficiencies in pools, better or different ways of thinking about things or measuring them, and still learning. But I don't know for certain if where I am now is still good enough. When I start going badly, I can't help but think the game may have passed me by permanently. When I start rolling again or learn something new it's reassuring. That's the personality "quirk" that keeps me from really stepping out and betting larger amounts and more races. It's not my past results.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-30-2023 at 02:56 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)