Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
boomman

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
There have been lots of talk about what appeal horse racing has or could have to the mainstream public. Many give low marks to the industry in attracting more non horseplayers to this game.

In my opinion, there is one reason alone that keeps non horseplayers from crossing over: You cannot win at the game!

The game is so heavily burdened by takeout and other "hidden" costs (ie, pay for information (pp's), pay to play, pay to get in, pay for race replays, on and on), that it could be argued that it is mathematically impossible to come out ahead save for hitting a big score (pick 6 or other).

There will be many horseplayers quick to refute the "can't win" scenario but they have their own agenda for doing so. They cannot continue to play with an agreement that the game can't be beat.

My feeling is until the takeout is reduced to a competitive level (10%) and the cost to gather information is seriously dropped, the game will have to live with the smallish, core group of players that currently fund it.
Valento: I agree with you on several points and even partially titled one of my books that only 2% of all folks actually win at our "game". (In fact many argue that the number is considerably lower than that, and it very well could be)...We have an opportunity to lower takeout on our own and that's via cash reward companies such as PTC. HANA has just received my donation, and I encourage everyone on this board to rally around their cause to overcome the horrible fracturing of signals by putting pressure on the tracks and horsemen groups to come together and fix this ridiculous situation. An entity denying access to it's customers??? We have become a laughing stock and can NEVER expect to draw new customers under the current business climate!

Boomer

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)