Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #331
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
On a related note, for those who are complaining about late odds changes and believe they're caused by CRW teams, assuming you agree to the following (if you don't agree then there's no point in discussing):

1. No one is consistently past posting. That is, no teams are getting bets in after the start of the race consistently. Perhaps it happens occasionally but due to tech problems
2. No team has access to special data that isn't readily available to everyone,
though it might cost $ (i.e. no one is able to buy the tri/super matrices)

#1 & #2 are exactly true. There is nothing that we could not get from the old SuperTote (which appears to be gone now) that is available to anyone else.
I'll come back to that.

As Lambo said, with enough money he can get you a server that allows for instant access to the tote data. However, it is not much more up to date than what is available elsewhere.

What does that mean?

Consider SuperTote. The default update from SuperTote used to be about every 30 seconds. But consider Super Tote itself... for practical purposes they were the data provider for us in terms of the tote board. (Substitute DRF or any other 3rd party tote board.)

They are getting the data by hitting a server themselves (or having it pushed to them).

The bottleneck for someone using SuperTote was the 30-second refresh from SuperTote. Their bottleneck (SuperTote's ) was at the next level up.

So, Lambo is right. Spend enough money and you can become SuperTote - hitting the tote system for the absolute newest data available.

HOWEVER... that data aggregation is not up completely to date either because not all the satellite bet-takers - whether they are tracks or OTBs - are reporting the data very fast.

Back to #1: Past Posting.
Get this... The whales are not cheating. Frankly, they have multi-million dollar businesses. They are not going to risk being barred because of something illegal.

Many of you don't like to hear this but they do it with better handicapping and wagering processes.

I want desperately to compete on that level but simply lack the horsepower and resources to do it. And I have far more resources than most of you do, in terms of programming skills, data, etc. It just takes more than that.

Now for #2: Extra Information
I once had an amazing tote update opportunity. It was the same feed pushed to "The Whales" from the same source. I am constrained to talk about who it was from but I can tell you what was in it.

I can also tell you that these guys also have a big business and are not going to do anything illegal. They were a pleasure to deal with and were completely professional. Special note: They were not an ADW. They were a provider to ADWs.

1. Actual money wagered on each ticket in Win, Place, Show, Exacta, Quinellas, and Daily Doubles.

2. Jockey changes in close to real time, based upon availability. (As soon as they are made available by the track.)

3. Track Condition updates. Same as above... based upon when they are made available by the track.

(We can all get the above information in many places. It simply isn't easily accessible.)

Notice that there is no trifecta combination information. Neither is there Superfecta information or multi-race information. That is because the tote system does not receive that information in a timely manner. (i.e. before the race is started.)

This is reality. Not conspiracy theory.

Are whales bad for racing? Sure.

Why? Because they raise the bar of competition as does every high-volume winning player. They also remove money from the churn. When they withdraw money, it never comes back to the track.

But they do not do it unfairly.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)