Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #1
Half Smoke

how ADWs changed the way we bet

of course, ADWs have had some enormous positive impacts on how a player can participate in betting racing

everybody knows this; the ease, the reduction or elimination of fees, the bonuses, the ability to bet from any location, etc.

but this post is not about that - it's about the other ways ADWs have impacted players

First: the big one - compared to the old days, when either at the track or at a simulcast facility, at the end of the day, if we won, we don't have the money in our pockets - it's in a digital holding site

for some, for probably many, the fact that the money is in the account and so easy to bet increases the likelihood that we will make bets that we would not make if we were forced to drive back and forth to a facility

so for many, the likelihood of us making bets that we do not really consider to be good or advantageous bets is greatly increased

not just that, since for me that hasn't been a problem - but not leaving a facility with money in my pocket has reduced my enjoyment of the game - it's just not the same

I can already hear the pros on the site pointing out that these 2 points reflect an unprofessional and immature response to ADW betting

granted, but nonetheless, a great many players are not pros operating at a very high level and so these points are IMO worth mentioning

the 2nd big issue is the bonuses offered. of course, everybody loves bonuses and I wouldn't be so foolish as to suggest that players shouldn't take advantage of the various bonuses offered

but nonetheless, bonuses obviously influence the player to bet more and more - and for some - likely for more than a small % - the bonuses are causing players to make bets they don't really consider to be good bets or advantageous bets

and also, there is the social aspect, or the lack of a social aspect. in going to a track or facility a player was part of a crowd and could sometimes find interesting conversation or amusement with other players - and yes, there was also annoyance with obnoxious screamers and losers - but to me, that negative was much less than the positive impact of socializing with others

just some thoughts I'm throwing out there - I'm well aware that not everyone will agree and that many will strongly disagree

Last edited by Half Smoke; 11-14-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)