Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: World Cup 2018
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #14
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
Soccer missed me by a few years. As evident by my use of the term “soccer”.

I did hear an interesting podcast talking about the problem with American futbol (look!) being it’s reliance on high income families as the source of most of it’s players.

Poor kids (Hispanic, Black, Asian, Appalachian, or otherwise) don’t get the opportunities that lead to the national team.

I know nothing about this sport and find it boring as hell. I have zero investment.

But I thought I’d stir the pot and see what came to the surface.

Please describe how my 60 minute podcast didn’t nail this sucker shut.
First, the best athletes in the U.S. have always gravitated to football, basketball and baseball. I believe a lot of these athletes will eschew football and soccer may benefit.

You're right about poorer folk not really embracing the game, but again as football becomes less attractive, they may play that game. You can play soccer with one ball on any kind surface. You don't need a 110 X 55 yard stadium with perfectly groomed grass.

If it's boring it is probably a lack of appreciation for the skill it takes to play the game. Yes, there are far too many kicks back to the goalie, and some teams are far too patient with the ball in the midfield, but a good attack is exciting.

The players love to take their shirts off and show off the six-packs. Of course if you were running 7-8 miles in a game - well, let's just say you have to be a really great athlete to do that.

I've done a few pieces on the worst rules in soccer and how the game could be improved, but when you are dealing with something people call the "beautiful game" it's hard to convince people
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement