Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: KEEN ICE!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #75
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I'm not going to get a chance to review the day and watch the replays until tomorrow, but I feel comfortable saying that was not the same horse we've seen all year. It's not so much that he lost. It's that IMO he's clearly a more brilliant horse than Frosted but he couldn't get away from him on the turn. He ultimately dug in and put him away, but he didn't have his usual turn of foot while it was still early in the race. Either all the shipping and the tough campaign finally got to him or right on the rail path was a little deeper.

Early in the card I thought the track might be playing better to the outside. I even adjusted my thinking mid card. But then a few horses did some running inside for at least parts of their races. So I was less sure. Given AP was running in their while pressured and came up short, it has to at least be considered pending a review of the head on replays etc....

I thought going to the Travers was a huge strategic mistake and said so on another forum. It was too much to ask. Even if he had he passed this test, he's not a bottomless pit. It was going to be really tough getting him to the Classic ready to fire his A race taking this path. Now we may have seen the last of him.
I don't know how he would get away from him on the turn, no 3yo ever pulled away from Frosted on the turn when he's stalking outside like that, he looped some of the better ones in the derby preps and gave them the staggers, that's his calling card right there, you're looking down the barrel of a loaded gun when he's on your outside in 48. Predictably he flattens after that but he owns the turn. To his credit AP was able to quicken up and not let him pull ahead by more. AP won points from me right there. Now this was a very solid tested effort, IMO, probably not his very best but I thought AP ran an solid race. Three horses you don't want to mess with on the turn, Calculator (injured, could've been any kind), Frosted (goes without saying), Liam's Map (after being 5 wide if you recall, Valid can vouch) -- honorable mention to American Pharoah.

Last edited by MJC922; 08-29-2015 at 07:51 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement