Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 11:54 AM   #15
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post

Thought Crown Pride's performance was strong, and better than his finishing position.

Coming into the '22 Derby, I gave Summer is Tomorrow a chance to win, and I respected Crown Pride. I thought Summer is Tomorrow would give them a run for their money on the lead, but did not expect Crown Pride to join them. I knew Taiba was a win contender (and I think his performance was also better than his finishing position).
Completely missed the scenario of a pace collapse. With Taiba and Summer is Tomorrow opinion combined much higher than the public (and I'm sure it would be easy to find a bunch of horseplayers who think Summer is Tomorrow was terrible even after the race), and Epicenter, and then possibly others (Messier? Brad Cox? etc...) near the pace... I should have forseen it at least as a possible scenario.
I had doubles and gimmicks to Summer is Tomorrow, I used Mo Donegal, but I should have included Barber Road and Rich Strike on some O/D dd etc.

Crown Pride went too, the biggest priced closer happened to win, and hindsight is 20/20.
I definitely saw a pace meltdown, and had Mo Donegal as my Derby winner last year. Got nearly the same trip as RS, but when RS got the inside, MD went outside and fought and banged with Barber Road the entire stretch. Thankfully got half my $ back in the Belmont.

When you are playing deep closers in a 20 horse field, things need to almost fall perfect in order to win. For Rich Strike, and the jock on board in Sonny Leon, all the perfect things and decisions happened. Street Sense, Giacomo, Mine That Bird, Rich Strike, Orb. While Orb and Street Sense were wagered more heavily, they all needed things to fall their way as well.

As for Crown Pride, I still fully believe that is a very good horse. Certainly a horse that was a solid contender in last year's Kentucky Derby.

Japan will send more of the same, if not better. One of them is going to win it.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most