Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: The jobs report
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #13
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Just a short time ago today I was at the checkout line at Market Basket grocery store, the woman with the cashier in front of me was having a tough time getting $267.00 applied or to come off her food stamp card. I guess on the third attempt with a $255 total it was not declined. My observations were all negative and when I got to the parking area to see her 2020 Honda Accord next to my 2020 Camry my thoughts did not get any better. I have never used food stamps in my life or any of the safety nets this country provides. Unemployment is just the tip of the iceberg.

At least you had comparable vehicles. The last place in lived in SoCal I voted at the nearest grade school. I always vote, even if it a special election for head dog catcher. The polling area was down a hallway past the cafeteria.
I pretty much went right when the polls opened. School was not in session yet, the only kids there were in the cafeteria for free breakfast. Most all the kids were eating while playing with their smart phone (I had a flip phone at the time). Almost every kid was dropped off by a parent with a lot newer SUV than I had. Every kid at school that early was there for the free breakfast.

I have no problem with social programs to feed people. My problem is those that abuse the system. Unfortunately these programs need more and better over site. Some people seem to have no shame. My favorite pet peeve has always been the person buying $100 of groceries with an EBT card while paying cash for a $100 cartoon of cigarettes. I swear if I ever did something like that I would have to be wearing a disguise and not go to the same place twice. Second pet peeve is a person using an EBT card to buy potato chips, full sugar soda and candy bars. That is nothing but a bunch of expensive empty calories, crap they would not buy if they were paying for it.

I always say if you are poor, live like a poor person, then I have no problem with you. I never took a social program dime either, and moved out when I was 17.

My white trash food of choice was home made spaghetti, only put in meat on special occasions. I would make a huge pot of it and often ate 3 meals a day of it. Another cheap food option was my friends and I would hit the K-Mart close to closing time and wait for the blue light special cleaning out the premade sandwiches.

Most of my male friends in High School lived by the rule that you hit the road when you were 18. If you can't find a roommate and a job to survive your dad would happily drop you off at the armed forces recruiting office.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 10-10-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)